Monday, December 26, 2005

You Eventually Just Get on with It.

Drug addition in a family member is a terrible experience. But you evenually just get tired of the lies and bad behaviour. At that point you get on with your life, and the addict becomes only a painful background distraction. This is illustrated by a recent story told by a 24 year old female bartender whose father has been a cocaine addict since her early memories.

Other than for his addiction my father has been wonderful to us. But over the years he has caused such pain and worry to my mother that we have become hardened to whatever he says. By agreeing to enter treatment centers and having good lawyers he went many years without doing any hard time. Finally we were faced with a sentencing which would almost surely include jail. My brother, sister, mother, and myself drove him to the court. He was given a light sentence but it did include jail. We watched him taken away. A hard thing to see happen to your father.

When we got into the car to go home, my mother started the engine, and turned to me and said
"Do you want to stop off for ice cream?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sound advice.