Friday, November 20, 2009

Please Truth, Come Set Us Free

The truth shall set you free. Religion, history and philosophy agree that knowledge of the truth is an important component of enduring freedom. Dictators and oppressive governments rarely have an interest in talking truth to their citizens.

It therefore appears logical to think that a society that values freedom, such as the United States, would be very good at detecting lies and deceptions and strong on the truth. Our forefathers, through our constitution have given us powerful freedom of expression rights that strongly support the pursuit of truth.

Then why is the US awash with such a confusing mess off half-truths, deception and outright lies?

One night, after a particularly painful evening of trying to sort out truth from the cacophony of noise from TV, the internet, politicians and just plain conversation my mind was exhausted. I tried prayer as I went to sleep.

“Please God, we are so confused. Could you intervene and help us know truth?”

To my surprise I had a dream that night with a reply. Not directly from God, but from a spirit who identified himself as the Apostle of Truth. I know that skeptics will attribute this to an overactive imagination or midnight pizza but I choose to take it as a legitimate answer.

It started as a light entered my bedroom and a voice began speaking. After introducing itself the voice offered the reason it could not intervene.

“As you know, your universe is special in that it is very complex and tightly balanced. God is reluctant to make changes. I knew he would not allow me to directly intervene for you. I did describe your prayer and he was glad to see you were working hard in the right direction. He also gave me permission to pass on to you the explanation he had given me a long time ago

About one million years ago God decided to give man the very precious gift of creative thinking. After a short time I noted that your species (humans) were abusing the gift. You were overwhelming my presence with your own imagined fabrications. God said that the gift of creative thought was absolutely essential to reach the high goals he had set for your species. Under no conditions would he limit this power. He had provided balance, however, by adding higher cerebral functions to your brain. With this power you can search the universe for information and apply reasoning that allows you to identify the actual truth over imagined events. These processes had only been in place for a short time. Natural selection would eventually strike a balance between the two competing processes and those based on truth would surely do well.

So God has given you the tools you need to win. Diligently use your cerebral processes to seek out the truth. Win your debates by truthful statements in which you can have confidence, not lies. You must put great effort into it if you are to be really free.

The United States is a great favorite for those of us who have been watching you from this side of the black hole. Although we have been a little disappointed in you recently, we think that you will eventually replace the people and their values that have weakened you. You will once again be great. Even though you have many friends here, however, you must do it yourselves.

Good luck. We will be following you with hopefulness.”

The light slowly dimmed and I was again in a darkened room. I was awake and apprehensive. This was advice that it was reasonable for us to follow. But would we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks